Headlines:

The Canadian Jeiwsh News

Sunday, September 21, 2014

Member Login:

IOC rejects moment of silence for Munich 11

Tags: Sports
Comments
Part of the 1972 Israeli Olympic team

JERUSALEM — The International Olympic Committee (IOC) has officially rejected a request to hold a moment of silence for the Munich 11 at the London Olympics this summer.

“The IOC has officially paid tribute to the memory of the athletes on several occasions,” IOC president Jacques Rogge wrote in a letter dated May 15. “Within the Olympic family, the memory of the victims of the terrible massacre in Munich in 1972 will never fade away.”

Families of the athletes initiated the request for the moment of silence at the opening ceremonies. Palestinian Black September terrorists killed 11 Israeli athletes and coaches at the 1972 Games in Germany.

Rogge’s letter came in response to an official request filed last month by Danny Ayalon, Israel’s deputy foreign minister.

“Unfortunately, this response is unacceptable as it rejects the central principles of global fraternity on which the Olympic ideal is supposed to rest,” Ayalon said last week in a statement. “The terrorist murders of the Israeli athletes were not just an attack on people because of their nationality and religion. [They were] an attack on the Olympic Games and the international community. Thus, it is necessary for the Olympic Games as a whole to commemorate this event in the open, rather than only in a side event.”

The Israel National Olympic Committee will hold its own memorial ceremony during the Games, as it has at every Olympics. Rogge pledged that IOC representatives would attend the ceremony.

Israel has regularly requested a moment of silence at the Olympics; the IOC has consistently turned down that proposal.

Also last week, the American Jewish Committee called on the IOC to reconsider its rejection.

“The 40th anniversary of that tragedy is a perfect opportunity for the Olympics to properly honour the memory of those innocent Israelis,” AJC executive director David Harris said. “The IOC refusal to hold a moment of silence during the London Games’ opening ceremony, which will be watched worldwide, is simply shameful.”

U.S. Reps. Nita Lowey and Eliot Engel, both New York Democrats, and the Anti-Defamation League in recent weeks also had called on the IOC in letters to approve the moment of silence.

The Jewish Community Center of Rockland County, N.Y., a member of the JCC Association, and Ankie Spitzer, the widow of Israeli fencing Coach Andrei Spitzer, initiated an online petition in mid-April seeking a moment of silence at the London Games. It has garnered some 38,000 signatures from around the world.

“The 11 murdered athletes were members of the Olympic family; we feel they should be remembered within the framework of the Olympic Games,” Spitzer wrote in a letter accompanying the petition.

© 2014 - CJNEWS.COM, all rights reserved.